Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tagalog is different than Cebuano


Really different.

Dear Family and Friends, hey.

How are you? 
. . . 
That sounds marvelous. First and most important, CONGRATULATIONS! ERIKA AND CHRIS! She sounds great, she looks tiny and like a little alien, but most importantly I'm very proud for (of?) you two, you guys are great.
As for everyone else in the family; I'm sure you all had great experiences this week, but none of that beats a baby. My week included. 

Anyway, I'm going to try and make this interesting, but it probably will be boring. So like my title says I learned a really important lesson from one our new investigators. She is 25 and totally Tagalog, which is frustratingly difficult to understand. It feels like I'm in my first transfer again. Elder Angeles can understand Tagalog since he is Pinoy and it is universally understood here, but he can't speak it. So we both taught in a funky Bisayan/Tagalog/English mix and prayed that the spirit would carry the message to her heart. Which we feel like it did, she really enjoyed the lesson. And she is progressing pretty nicely. We're headed back there tonight so pray for me. But on the plus side I learned some Tagalog. I greeted her in Tagalog and she was very pleased. She asked if I knew Tagalog too, then I explained in Bisayan that I only knew Bisayan. But I can pick up the short things she says since almost everything written on billboards, on tv or the radio is Tagalog - you just pick some it up. 

Also, I got a couple of letters. First HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEXIS!!!! You’re totally 20, thats really old. 
Second, I really loved the Christmas cards that Jamison sent. They were hilarious. I was looking at the "Seasons Staircase" one and my District Laader (American) said me and my family took a picture like that once. He didn't understand it was a joke. 

Also, the Zoo was a blast last Wednesday. I'm sending pictures. The first is Elder Angeles and me holding a giant snake! 

 The second is me teaching a mermaid the Word of Wisdom. I was going to teach her the law of chastity, since she isn't wearing a top, but I settled with Word of Wisdom because that was the only pamphlet I could find in Cebuano. She didn't speak any English. I also taught a monkey and a reindeer the message of the restoration. 

The third picture is just a cool sign at the Zoo. 

And fourth is a Giant Alligator (crocodile?) It was like 10 feet long. The zoo guy was walking around in the cage right behind it. We totally thought they were going to wrestle. Nothing happened. 


Also this week I found out that there is a tree that grows mangoes in our yard. YES!

Also, we had a really boss coordination meeting with the branch that hopefully will increase the number of people that come to church and give us referrals. 

We ate some good food this week, but I have no time to explain since Elder Angeles is standing behind me waiting to go. 

Also we have a boss new Investigator. I'll tell you about him next week. 

I love all of you, you guys just keep doing awesome things. I love my friends and I'm grateful for my family. Be good and fly safe mom.

Gugma Elder Abbott. 

No comments:

Post a Comment