Sunday, May 8, 2011

April emails


"A happy Holy Week to you." [Sent 04/26/2011]
Dear friends and family,
Before I forget I'll explain the Mothers Day thing. Elder Rebojo's family doesn't have Skype so we are going to do the Magic Jack. So Sunday May 8th I will call at 8pm (my time).  Or 6 AM Sunday May 8th (your time). You guys are early birds so I'm sure you won't mind getting up a little early. So just plan for this if it changes then I will mention it in my e-mail next week. I'm excited to hear the sweet sound of your voices. 

Now to the nitty-gritty, I did just hit my 8 month mark, It feel likes 100 years since I showed up in Camotes, but at the same time I still feel crazy new. Kaleb is a boss, training, that is something I'm a little afraid of. Josh just had the best week of his life (getting wisdom teeth pulled out). I wish I was there to be with him and watch Clockwork Orange. I miss Josh a ton. I want him to get assigned to the Cebu Philippines mission so I can train him and watch him eat chicken butt. Fun fact: I ate three chicken butts last night for dinner. It was pretty OK. You don't actually eat the butt just all the fat and meat around the butt. Then the butt just sits on your plate and mocks you as a somber reminder of what you just had in your mouth. I also want Josh to go on a mission so he can have the most fun he has ever had, because it is exactly that, the most fun I have ever had. I'm not going to lie I used to not want to be assigned stateside but now I feel like it wouldn't even matter because its just a blast. If I was assigned stateside my mission would be like those district 2 videos. (do they watch those if your not a missionary, you totally should they are really good.) Its just hard to apply to my mission because their investigators have concerns. Mine are just Catholic. We had an investigator tell us she believes in Joseph Smith, but.... she's Catholic. Which brings up another fun experience: Holy Week. It is INSANE here in Bohol. I didn't actually get to see a person get crucified (they totally do it here) but that was probably because I didn't see any people anywhere. I have no idea where all the people that live in Bohol went. But they weren't  in Dauis or in Tagbilaran City. We came into the city for a FHE and it was like that Will Smith movie I never saw where he is the last man that isn't a zombie, my movie trivia is totally gone now. (Elder Rebojo's guesses are Men in Black, and the Last Airbender, I know those aren't right and this is really bothering me) We were seriously the only people in the city it felt like, every restaurant except for McDonalds (what does that tell you about mcdo's) was closed. Anyway regardless of no people we somehow managed to scrounge up some success this week by finding a boss new family. They are great, and participate in lessons like maybe no one else I have ever taught. So keep the Cericus family in your prayers.

Mom asked a pretty funny question in her last e-mail. and I quote, "Is the weather starting to get hotter?" Mom, the weather started hotter. Then this last couple of weeks have started what is called "summer." There is a difference, surprisingly, it just replaces the rain  with hot all the time. All the Time. The power went out one night so the electric fan that keeps me cool at night went out, I was covered in sweat in a matter of moments. But yeah its getting hotter. 

Also I haven't got your package yet. I am really REALLY hoping that you sent some of those Easter jellybeans because I really missed them this last Easter. I got a little homesick this last Easter which is surprising because I almost never get homesick. 

Aside from all that everything in Dauis is mighty fine. Elder Rebojo is fantastic, he just gets it. I love it. I'm hoping we will go 2 transfers together, my longest companion was Elder Gertge in the MTC. Oh which reminds me, Elder Nelson of my batch, went home. He had some medical problems and it sounds like he won't be able to be re-assigned, so keep him in your prayers also because it's got to be hard to be home when you know you could have been on a mission. Well I love you all, I haven't got a letter for a while from anyone so just saying. I just shot one off to Tania this week. Included in that is a letter to Chase that I wrote in the MTC but never sent because I lost his address, so if you could send that off to him too that would be great.

But I love you all a lot.  Be good. Stay Crazy.
Gugma Elder Abbott


"Brad! Habal-habal?" [Sent 04/19/2011]
Dear Friends and Family,
First off, those pictures and e-mails you sent of your trip to New York were super trunky. So thanks. But seriously I loved it, it sounded like heaven for Dad: Food, baseball, food, and grandkids. I would be wicked jealous of you all if I wasn't currently living in the jungles of Asia. I'm still a little jealous. But life goes on, actually yesterday we were walking to an appointment when a tricycle (motorcylce with a cab for 2 passengers welded on. I've ridden with 13 people once) passed by. Not too weird, then I heard the driver shout "SEMINARY SEMINARY!" So we stopped and he stopped. It came around and sure enough there were 2 Americans sitting inside and they were Mormons, too. I guess the brother is from Utah (Sandy, I think) and he owns a Call Center in Cebu. He and his wife were just vacationing because Panglao island (the true name of Dauis Island) is just riddled with white beaches. They were so excited to see missionaries. They took a picture of us and said they wanted to send it to their little boys (they had 3) because "there are missionaries in Utah but you know its not the same" (SLAM!). Anyway the funniest part was when they started talking to Elder Rebojo (who is a boss, more on that later) and his English is fine, he just gets nervous. They asked where he was from and he said Mindanao and the guy was like "whoa, don't hurt this American, alright." (Mindanao is a really scary place for Americans) It was kind of funny though, I was a little afraid Rebojo was going to be offended, but he thought it was boss that he came form a place that "the world is afraid of". Anyway moral of the story, that was a trunky experience and speaking in all English is REALLY hard. I remembered I slipped in Bisayan words on accident, and felt like a jerk. 

So in other good news, Wednesday I picked up a new companion - number 6, Elder Rebojo. He is great, he is from Surigao, Mindanao. He is by far my most diligent companion and I LOVE IT. He gets it, that's just it, the kid gets it. Also since we are both brand spanking new to the island we will go anywhere and talk to anyone. So that's been fun. Also this Saturday we had a baptism, Maryanne. She is great, I included a picture. She is 16 but she looks like she is 10. Then Saturday night after the baptism we were headed to Maryanne's house to eat a celebration dinner, and we were walking to were the Jipneys were when a truck full of Single Adults in our branch picked us up and took us to one of their house and fed us. They wanted to get to know us since they were all branch missionaries, so that was great. They're all pretty cool. The branch here in Dauis is the best I have been in yet. Then we made it to Maryannes house in time to eat Lechon Manok and cake. I don't know if I have explained Lechon Manok yet. Its like Lechon Baboy (pig) so technically in the states it would be called rotisserie chicken. But that would also be the worst understatement in the world. My mission the Cebu mission is literally the Lechon capitol of the world. And Lechon Manok (chicken) is much cheaper than Lechon Baboy and so stinking good! Of course I eat it with rice (I have gotten a bad rice belly form eating rice 3 times a day, but I have managed to lose 18 pounds since the MTC. Anyway so Saturday was a great day. Also on Monday we had a C.S.P. so as a district we have taken it upon ourselves to clear a huge field for a new member family. Since this is the Philippines we aren't using lawnmowers which could get the job done in a couple of hours. We are all just using machetes. It's hot and scratchy and slow work, but I dig it. One perk is I get to dress up as a Habal-Habal driver (a guy who drives people around on motorcycles) We have to wear long sleeve shirts and and shirts on our heads to keep us from getting cut up on the arms and our heads from being fried in the unrelenting sun. So I threw a couple of pictures in there so you could all imagine it better. The best part was we bought it all at a pinoy version of the DI. I haven't decided if it is better than DI, it definitely has some gems, and I think the clothes are from a sketchy source (she wouldn't or couldn't answer us when we asked), but the hard part is you have to barter because they jack up prices for Americans. So you have to flaunt perfect Bisayan to intimidate them. Ultimately, though, it's pretty sweet. Oh I forgot to mention that we worked for 3 hours and we barely even scratched the field. Its huge. 

Well this letter turned out to be way long, which is great! As for Mothers Day (I forget if its this week or next) but we are just going to use a members magic jack (so American) so it'll be free and you won't have to worry seeing me face to face and being terribly Nik-sick (I'm sure you all would be) But I will call at 10 am in the morning which if my math is right is about 8 pm in Utah.  

Well, I love you all a ton, I'm always praying for you. Don't worry too much about me I'm fine here, New York sounds Mawvelus. 
Be good, Stay Crazy
Gugma Elder Abbott  

Pictures: 

 Baptism for Maryanne Escribano


 Me as a Habal-Habal


 Me and Elder Rebojo, I like this last one because neither of us look good. 
We just look sweaty and tired and a little uncomfortable in front of cameras. 



"Choco Hills" [Sent 04/12/2011]
Dear friends and family,
Bad news, I'm going to be in Dauis, for a very long time. It's not that bad, it's just that Bohol is the most Catholic island in the country. But I'm excited. Also, Elder Barber got transferred, so me and new missionary (Elder Robojo - my 6th companion, can you believe it?) are going to do our best to figure out the area. I know where all the investigators live and a few members, so now I'm just going to give it the old college try. Also Elder Taylor got transfered, so I'm not going to see him for a while. But it'll be good. 

On the flip side, I have some very very good news. General Conference was amazing, especially Dallin H. Oaks' talk and Dieter F. Uchtdorf (priesthood session). I got a ton of good ideas from those two talks. Also I just got back from a very successful trip to the world famous Chocolate Hills. Elder Taylor claims that they are one of the natural wonders of the world. I think he has no idea what he's talking about. It was fun, its kind of like a right of passage here in the mission. No one will believe you were assigned to Bohol if you don't have a ton of the same picture touching chocolate hills. It was fun, we had good times taking these ridiculous photos on brooms to look like we were flying, then we fit the entire zone in the ZL's van it only seats 9 "comfortably" but we got 18. Its how people do it in the Philippines. Also this Saturday we have a baptism, so lets all get excited for that, if you would keep Maryanne in your prayers that she will continue to prepare herself that would be great. 

Also, this Mother's Day I have a member in the branch that has magic jack so we can just call from there for free, so if you all just send me what time and what number to use we'll rock that, unless you all want to do the Skype thing but I didn't think you had a videocam, so I didn't think it would be that cool. 

Send everyone my love, tell the Jackson family that I miss them and Riley is a boss. He'll be a missionary in no time. 
Be good, Stay Crazy
Gugma Elder Abbott

Also 

Pictures: 
 Me and some awesome kids in Dauis. 

 Me and Elder Barber at the Chocolate hills. 

 Cortes District. 

 Me touching a chocolate hill. 

 Me, Nanay Ursala (she is very nice) Elder Babs. 



Bohol is the 10th largest island in the Philippines! [Sent 04/05/2011]
It's also where I am assigned Right now.

Dear friends and family, I got emergency transfered, but don't worry, because I didn't do anything. It was another missionary and I was on the receiving end. So I'm in Bohol. Technically I'm in Dauis which is a different island about 10 minutes away from Tagbilaran City. Which is really nice for all the people in Dauis, but just awful for missionaries because there is nothing in our area, no stores no markets not even a dirty old Karnenderia. But there are people and we teach them the gospel no matter how Catholic they may be. Because in Bohol they are Really REALLY Catholic. There are some pluses, there are a ton of Americans in the district, including my companion, Elder Barber.  He's from Texas, and may or may not be Josh Abbott serving a mission again because they are literally the same person. Like everything. Also Elder Taylor (as made famous as my companion in the MTC is in the district too, he's sitting right next to me.) So we have a bunch of fun. The area is cool just cuz its a neat little island and we eat at member's houses all the time. There are a lot of more wealthy members too, so its kinda nice here, the branch is also really really tight.
Also, last week after I emailed you we went to this boss waterfall in Valencia back when I was still in Negros. Then, Wednesday night we got the text and the morning I was on a boat to Bohol. It was lame. But it's all good. I miss Elder Cabrera - he was a hoot. Ultimately the emergency transfer was the most interesting thing that happened this week .

The Padres are looking mighty fine. I was very happy to see that picture. How did my Aztecs do by the way I never heard. College basketball isn't popular in the Philippines. All though we played basketball earlier today and I am really bad. But not as bad as Elder  Taylor. Tell me how New York is. I'm jealous you guys get to go and see my niece. Tell her about me and send my love. 

I'm sending some pictures of the waterfall, too. I forgot which ones I attached, but fun facts, the falls were huge. We had to climb 335 stairs down and then back up to get to it. They were seriously steep too.  Also, we ate lechon chicken on banana leafs because we forgot plates and my watch broke because it got too wet when we crossed the river. But it was totally worth it, it was a gorgeous falls. (english?) 





Stay Wild, Be good
gugma Elder Abbott.

No comments:

Post a Comment