Thursday, September 23, 2010

Living Book of Mormon

 I got the package from the Andersons today! It ruled. Josh gets me. I just want to say thank you for the package, I really appreciate it. Also thanks for the Stamps!
Also good Luck to Dad. I don't know if you've heard about the job or not but I'm praying for you.

So, cool story this week. On Friday morning I was running to gym (gotta get those four-square courts), anyway, I ran into Elder Coppins, who was just getting back from his gym time. We chatted briefly and found out more or less his schedule is polar oppossite from mine. Then, yesterday morning, I was doing service and I hear someone from behind say my name. I turn around and sure enough there he was again looking sharp in a suit. We talked and I found out his class is a floor above me, which sounds like he is just begging for a prank. The only problem is both times Elder Coppins has seen me I've been in street clothes so he might just think I work at the MTC. Hopefully I'll see him around.

Another cool story. On Thursday we have TRC and since there are 10 people speaking Cebuano in the entire MTC, we had way more volunteers than we did missionaries. So, our teacher broke up some companionships to teach, namely Elder Swicegood went with Sister Brinton and I was put with his companion, Elder Ashdown. This was a shock since I hadn't ever taught with him before and more importantly we hadn't practiced our phrases together before. So the Language task came up and we asked to greet the investigator and take them down the hall to ride in a fake jipney (bus) to church. We were so nervous that we just got to know them in our room and then after a few minutes I remembered we had to take them to the jipney. So we hopped up and asked, “Andam ka ba sa simba?” (Are you ready to worship?) The investigators looked at us and chuckled and we left. After an uncomfortable walk down the hallway we got to where all the other missionaries were. So it was crowded and noisy like a real jipney. We talked or, should I say, I talked and every time I looked at Elder Ashdown, he tried to think of something to say but stopped after “Unsa.” (What) We talked. I discovered they had not kept their commitments, which was the worst, since Elder Gertge was the one that would have taken over the conversation at that point. So we tried to think of ways to encourage them “sa Cebuano,” and then they began to ask about if their baptism was valid since they were Catholic. We hadn't even come close to practicing any part of the first lesson in Cebuano, much less the restoration. I tried to explain apostasy and ended just bearing my testimony of Joseph Smith. Then time was up. It was the longest 15 minutes of my life.

On the flip side, our lesson in English was a home run. Elder Ashdown is a killer missionary! Also, at one point, I tried asking him if he prayed about the Book of Mormon. “Nag-ampo ka ba bahin sa Basahon ni Mormon?” is what I should have said, but I ended up saying “Nag-Ampo ka ba buhi sa Basahon ni Mormon?” which means have you prayed living Book of Mormon. That ultimately makes no sense and he had me repeat until Elder Ashdown started laughing and corrected me. They just laughed at me and I was like “yeah, this will be a story!”

Anyway, there are some stories you can share around the watercooler with other seminary teachers or  all your friends in college or high school or at Tahitian Noni.

Did you all get my pictures by any chance? I hope so. I can't remember if I put enough stamps on it. I still don't understand the rules behind stamps.

Also, another reminder that I do not have anyone address besides my family, Joey's address, and the Anderson’s address. So no one can get letters from me until I get their address, wink wink. Write me. www.dearelder.com works too.

Ultimately, I can't remember if there is anything else important I want to say, besides, “I love you. I miss you all. I miss food that doesn't sit in me like a brick. I miss naps most of all I think.”

Nasayud Ako nga tinuod Simbahan! (I know the Church is true!)

Gugma, Elder Abbott.

No comments:

Post a Comment